About the Southside SPCA
The Southside SPCA is an independent, donor-supported, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to the welfare of companion animals in Southside Virginia. We are not affiliated with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) or any other state or national animal welfare organization
We have provided rescue, shelter, medical treatment, spay/neuter, and adoption services to over 45,000 puppies, kittens, cats, and dogs since we began operating in 1975. We are a no-kill shelter operating mostly with volunteers. We serve twelve largely rural, economically depressed counties in Southside Virginia, including Amelia, Appomattox, Brunswick, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Halifax, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, and Prince Edward.
We Operate Two Shelters
One, our main shelter, is in Prince Edward County and has capacity for 50 dogs, 12 litters of puppies, and 55 cats and kittens. The second shelter, known as “Field of Dreams”, is in Lunenburg County, and has capacity for 20 dogs. Field of Dreams serves as a training and rehabilitation center for our hounds and older dogs.
Animals arrive at our shelters in a number of ways. We save many from death by removing them from the county pounds in our service area after the minimum waiting period has expired, while others are surrendered by their owners, or are abandoned at our shelters, at dumpsters, or along the roadsides. Those that are injured, suffering from diseases, or are malnourished are given medical care and lots of love and attention.
Each year, we rescue, care for, adopt out, and provide spay and neuter services for well over 1,000 animals. In addition to offering assistance to low-income residents to help them keep their pets, we also engage in outreach to educate the public in our service area about animal welfare and the importance of spaying and neutering their pets. Since we began operating, euthanasia rates in the county pounds in our service area have dropped from almost 100 percent to an average of 37 percent today. We have accomplished much, but we still have much to do.
- To rescue and provide care and shelter for homeless, abandoned and abused animals in our service area.
- To find loving “forever” homes for the animals that we rescue.
- To reduce the over-population of unwanted and homeless dogs and cats in Southside Virginia through public education and our low and no-cost spay and neuter programs.
Our Strategic Goals
- To eliminate euthanasia of healthy animals in Southside Virginia through education and easy access to spay and neuter services.
- To increase our volunteer and financial support so that we can continue to expand our rescue, care, adoption, and spay and neuter programs.
- To secure the long-term future of the Southside SPCA by establishing and funding an endowment to provide the sustainable source of annual income needed to continue operating our shelters and to support and expand our programs and services in the years to come.
Our shelters exclusively feed our animals and recommend Science Diet brand pet food